Tuesday, January 15, 2013

January Reads

For the month of January I have already read two books:

The Giver by Lois Lowry (something I should have read when I was in 6th grade as it is a young adult novel, but so glad I read at this age because I know I was able to appreciate it way more now. Makes me want to re-read Number the Stars).


This book was so good. I love books about dystopian society with 1984 being my favorite, but this was close to tying my top spot in this genre because the author made it seem just so normal for these people to be doing these crazy things and it really took me a second before I stopped and said, "Wait a minute!" in disbelief when I came to the realization that what seemed normal in this society was something totally bizarre, against cultural norms, and taboo in our society. The author really makes it seem normal and OK that these citizens' rights have been taken away until you realize that it really isn't. It also makes it seem not so far fetched that this could happen easily in our society as well. Recommend this book for any adult who wants a book that makes them feel uncomfortable and think, even with an easy read.

I also read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.


This one has been on the best seller list for weeks (months?) and after reading the first few pages I could see why. It's a book that immediately sucks you in, which was awesome because I was able to read it in less than 48 hours and it made a couple days without internet or TV fly by. It's a book about dysfunctional marriage, with the dysfunctional part being x 4830084853 million. It's also about how we all have flaws, some major some minute, which we try to hide, even from the people who are supposed to be closest to us, like our spouses, parents, and siblings. Great story telling and suspense, even though the ending immediately makes you want to throw the book across the room. The ending frustrated me initially but once I sat with the idea for awhile it kind of grew on me and I realized it couldn't have ended any other way and still have been true to the characters.

So those are my book reviews for the month so far. The two books that I am reading next are:

Rin Tin Tin by Susan Orlean


A book about the famous dog. No idea what else to write about it at this point other than I heard it's supposed to be really good.

and

A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane



 
Have you seen the movie Gone Baby Gone? If not SHAME ON YOU. It's awesome, go rent it now. If you have, then you know the two main characters Patrick and Angie. This is the book they first appeared in. I loved Gone Baby Gone (the film, haven't read the book) and enjoyed reading other Dennis Lehane works so I figured I would like this one too. It's starting off slow but other than that it's good. I'm hoping it's going to be a slow build to fully develop the characters and then I'll get slammed with the suspense and a good twist ending by the end. He's been a successful writer since this book so I'm guessing he got more book deals for a reason! Here's hoping it's good.

If anyone is reading anything good please leave a comment, I am always on the lookout for good book ideas!

3 comments:

  1. I have never read The Giver, although almost everyone I know has read it at some point in their lives. I loved Gone Baby Gone but didn't even know it was based on a book. I will add that to my list.

    I have started (but not finished) two books: The Holy or the Broken by Alan Light about the Leonard Cohen song Hallelujah and its many cover versions. It is one of my favorite songs, specifically the version by Jeff Buckley. The other book is Let the Right One In by Swedish author John Ajvide Lindgvist. It is a vampire/horror story and there are two very very good movies based on the book - the Swedish version Let the Right One In and the English version Let Me In. The Swedish version is available on netflix watch instantly and the English version is on netflix dvd. Super creepy, so if you are in need of a good scary book/movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the copy of Gone Girl. I started it last night and am trying to get some work done around the house before I pick it up again. So far, so good.....

    ReplyDelete