Sunday, February 10, 2013

February

So we are over a week into February already. Usually February is the WORST because it's usually cold and dreadful. But in Texas it's not so bad! We had a big thunderstorm today that developed into tornadoes (gross) over Mississippi but other than that the weather has been good. It's funny because here right before it rained I said, "It feels like Costa Rica outside" and then boom, sheets of rain fell from the sky not even 5 minutes later. The humidity gets to a tropical scale right before thunderstorms, it's pretty crazy.

Other things that have been happening:

Last week of work we had something called Hab Camp where the therapy (aka Hab) department put on classes for other members of staff at the State Supported Living Center. I taught a class about Tone and Contractures. According to everyone else I did pretty well. I had the help of another OT but it was still a little nerve wracking! I also got a cool shirt for helping, I'll try to post a picture of it sometime.

Paul and I went to Houston last weekend, mostly for something to do and to go grocery shopping. Houston has Whole Foods and Trader Joes, which are the two best grocery stores that I like to go to. It was a fun day. I'll post pictures as soon as I can figure out how to get them in mass from my iphone to the computer. Makes me want a Macbook. (HINT HINT PAUL).

We didn't go anywhere this weekend because next weekend we are going to Ft Worth for the long weekend (President's Day!). Ft Worth is known for maintaining it's "cowboy" or "old west" feel despite being a major US city. I'm excited to go! We have 3 goals for this trip: 1) Go to a rodeo. 2) Buy cowboy boots. 3) Go to the science museum in Dallas we didn't get to go to on our last excursion. That reminds me, I better buy tickets now...

I joined a weight loss challenge site called healthywage.com. I "bet" $150 that I could lose 10% of my body weight in 6 months and if I succeed the site will pay me $300. If I suck and don't succeed I lose the $150. Studies show that people are more able to succeed in weight loss if there is an incentive AND penalty. I don't think 10% is that challenging but we shall see. I have to get my weight verified this week at a gym in town to make it legit. If anyone wants to join let me know so I can give you my registration number. If I refer friends I can make more money!

I haven't done any reading lately, unless you count magazines. I have like 30 magazines from the past 6 months that I need to read in my hope to reduce clutter. Therefore Rin Tin Tin and Drink Before the War have been shelved for the moment.

I've talked my mom and hopefully my brother into going to Mexico for Christmas this year. It is so helpful to me to have something to look forward to, and travel is my favorite thing to look forward to.

That reminds me, I need to go book those museum tickets!

2 comments:

  1. Rain in the south is a whole experience. In NC, when it rains it downpours HARD for about 15 minutes, then it goes away. One day, I was sitting outside reading on my Kindle, clear blue sky, no clouds and BAMMM DOWNPOUR!!!! And then it stopped and we all went on with our lives. I LOVE the weather here, even when it's not that nice out it is still pretty nice out haha.

    I can easily transfer my pics using my Linux machines, I just hook up my iPhone and transfer them like normal. I haven't tried it on Windows, which I no longer use. WINDOWS WHY YOU SUCH FAIL!?!?

    How far are you from Houston? I stayed with my uncle, who lives in Houston, many years ago. It was beautiful AND we went to the Space Center there which was way cool because that was around the same time Apollo 13 came out and I was way into space stuff. Have fun with your next excursion into cowboy country! And if you buy boots, you have to take pictures wearing them and the hat. You should probably get a Sheriff's badge as well. And a bandanna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous of the weather you are experiencing. Chicago's winter's are more mild than Minneapolis, but it is ugly here. Bleak, gloomy, and DIRTY. Is Houston a clean city?

    I hope you find some sexy boots!

    Good luck with the weight loss challenge. An interesting idea/website.

    ReplyDelete