Saturday, May 4, 2013

Plans Are A Changin'

So when we set off on this thing called 'traveling therapy' my husband and I had a pretty good game plan of what we wanted to do. We wanted to move to Texas for the winter, hang out in a big city or near the ocean, and then move back up north to Chicago for the summer. We would then venture east in the fall to Washington, DC, and then to Charleston, SC to spend the winter. 

I quickly realized it doesn't work that way. 

The world of traveling therapy is constantly changing, new jobs crop up and previous jobs get filled, licenses don't come in by the time you need to move, and you have no control over start dates! You have to be flexible. Luckily for us, we are pretty flexible people. While I like to eat an entire medium pizza when I'm stressed, I otherwise handle stress pretty well. 

SO. This is the new plan (which I'm sure will change a million times just like the old one did): 
  • Stay in Lufkin, TX until June 1
  • Hang out in OK with my cousin and then in Bismarck, ND with my family/friends until June 8th or so. 
  • Start new job in San Juan, WA June 13
  • Spend fall in Oregon 
  • Spend winter in southern CA

Criss-crossing the country is a lot of work, especially with a U-Haul and two dogs. So our new plan is to stay on the west coast this year and then make our way around to the east coast, which will make more sense financially. 

Some of the areas we still hope to cover:
  • Minnesota
  • Chicago
  • A stint at Lake Tahoe (any time of year would be awesome)
  •  Maybe somewhere in the black hills of SD
  • Charleston or anywhere else along the coast of SC
  • Savannah, GA
  • Miami!
  • Washington, DC
  • Boston
  • Anywhere in NY state
  • Coastal Maine
  • Memphis or Nashville, TN
  • Michigan's upper peninsula
  • Las Vegas

Even if we have to live in a random town near these places, we can always take weekend trips and make the most out of it. That's what we've done in Texas and it's been great fun. Speaking of that, I need to write about 5 more posts about our Texas adventures! Better get busy!


 

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh Savannah and Nashville were on our list of places to move, Portland just paid more. SC is beautiful, a lot of nice coastal cities. I will be in Portland by the end of June, so if you will be around in the fall it would be sweet to meet up. Hopefully by then I will have a whole new flannel shirt wardrobe to fit in. I kid, sort of.

    ReplyDelete