Saturday, January 5, 2013

Mmmm, Southern Food!

Last night Paul and I went to a little dive restaurant on the highway between Lufkin and Huntington called Pete's Place. It reminded me of the Hen House in Center, ND when I was growing up. Bad lighting, bad chairs, awesome service, lots of fried food.

I got the "Seafood Platter for the Hungry" <-- The real name. So I could try a bit of everything they offered that was seafood.

Some of the samplings:


This is a catfish. I ate one of his brethren last night, cut into strips and fried. It was a lot better than I expected, considering how ugly he is and that he's a bottom feeder.


I also ate some fried oysters. Looking at this picture makes me want to throw up a little because I think raw oysters are disgusting (the texture! Slimy, cold, squishy, bleh.) but when they are deep fried in batter with a little cocktail sauce they are pretty good!

I also had frogs' legs, they were pretty gross. Toasted Frog in Bismarck does them better. The hushpuppies were pretty great! I remember eating hushpuppies in South Carolina when my mom lived there and I LOVED them so they were fun to have again.

We ended our epicurian adventure with chocolate pie. It was pretty good but very sweet, which coming from me is saying a lot.

If you're wondering what Paul had - baked potato, steak, and a few catfish strips. I'm proud of him for being a little adventurous with the catfish!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't tried frog legs yet and I don't even plan to. I know it's stupid considering I love things like lobster or crab legs (in the sense that they actually look scary to eat). Adam has tried frog legs and he didn't hate them but he wasn't very impressed by them. I also have tried to stay away from too much Southern fried food, since I need to loose weight and eating any fried food would make it a lot easier to NOT loose weight haha. But I do love the food here - fresh seafood mmm mmm mmmmmm! Can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You won't miss anything by skipping out on the frogs legs. I was a little disturbed eating them last night and they aren't amazingly delicious like crab. So I probably will never have them again in my life haha. I have to stay away from fried food too but I just wanted to be fully in the Northern person eating Southern food moment. I don't plan on doing that too much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuck. I can't believe you ate frog legs! I would rather eat bugs. Catfish is also nasty.

    ReplyDelete